Collada to SEA3D - Blender / Maya

Collada to SEA3D

Collada today is one of most popular and full file format for exchanges between 3d authoring tools. But as it is an XML file it is not optimized with a binary file and for WebGL it is still big final file, besides not formatted for specific libraries like the Three.JS.

Our solution is to include the Collada Importer for optimized output of SEA3D. Using WebGL with minimum possible of processing thus obtaining the best performance.

1. Import your Collada into SEA3D Studio
2. Edit your Scene
3. Publish for a specific library

Our roadmap for the next few weeks.
Collada Importer

FeatureState
Geometry / Vertex / NormalsDone
SkeletonDone
Skeleton AnimationDone
Object ContainerDone
MaterialDone
TexturesDone
CamerasIn progress
LightsIn progress
LinesIn progress
MorpherIn progress
Vertex AnimationIn progress
Keyframe AnimationIn progress
Vertex ColorsIn progress

We also have plans to synchronize SEA3D Studio models with models of 3ds Max and Blender thus bringing creating a better automated process, so we finalize this roadmap.

Upload your Collada .DAE file to base of our tests.

I hope you enjoy.

Cheers.
11th July 2017 - 09:12:35 AM
Hi guys !

I would be curious to know if this table is still relevant today ?
still no support of camera / lights / vertex anim and vertex colors ?

Cheers
Emmanuel
12th July 2017 - 02:58:27 PM
Hi Emmanuel.

We are investing in Assimp Importer and Three.JS converter currently:

https://github.com/sunag/sea3d/tree/master/Source/Assimp
https://github.com/sunag/sea3d/blob/master/Source/Three.JS/exporter/SEA3DExporter.js

Suggestions!?

Cheers
12th July 2017 - 04:31:12 PM
Hi sead3d !

Thanks a lot for the fast feedback.
I use maya to build my assets and .FBX to store them on disk.
I am trying to find the most Reliable / Bulletproof way of converting complex Maya/Houdini scene into .sea3d.
I will use all exotic stuff possible
- static mesh export
- skinned mesh export
- vertex anim mesh export
- bezier / nurbs spline export
- cam / light / mat
- vertex color / normal / face set

At the moment the best way i have find is to export .FBX 2014 to 3dsmax and use your impressive Max exporter.
It works perfectly, but it force us to use max as a gateway.

I was wondering if there was an other way to do this without having to use 3dsmax ?

In a perfect world the most elegant way imo would be to have a universal command line converter executable, written in a fast language like C/C++. that could able to convert .FBX (the defacto standard in game industry) to a .sea3d file

basically having the exact same tool you have done for 3dsmax but in an agnostic fashion.
you just have a core executable with a unix command synthax like :

fbx2sea.exe my_asset.fbx my_asset.sea -compression 'lzwa' -vertexcolor 1 -skin 0 -vertexanim 1 ...

The big plus of this is that anybody could then wrap your executable in his own software.
with a simple python script it could work directly for maya/ houdini / blender / c4d

and thus anybody could in an elegant way convert lots of assets :
- in an automated way by only using your command executable and a shell script
- or in a manual way in his own software by using a small piece of python.

Just a though ! :)
Cheers
Emmanuel
13th July 2017 - 03:02:32 PM
Hi Emmanuel.

Wow. It was one of the best ideas so far.
Severeal blender/maya users already asked about an exporter. It seems the best solution.

I'll finish the SEA3DExporter.js to Three.JS and start this in the next month using FBX SDK as first attempt.

I will do more times it kind of question :)

Cheers
13th July 2017 - 05:24:03 PM
Thanks a lot for your feedback sea3d !

That's great to see that you will build an fbx exporter.
One important part will be to pick the best FBX version that can work well in Maya / Blender / C4D / Houdini / UE4 / Unity,
in order to minimise your work. I would say that FBX 2014 or FBX 2013 specs will be the safest bet, but you will have to double check.

I don't think you have any plan for a babylon.js importer, but that would be great to have sea format working with this engine.

You have the glTF format that is similar to sea. But while looking great, the exporter i have test are not very good and none of them succeed to compress data like you do.

Having a common geo format beetween three.js and babylon.js
- with excellent compression
- and exporter that DO WORK as expected like yours
Would be just great ! it is also the goal of glTF but for now it's really not bulletproof.

Cheers !
17th November 2017 - 07:12:15 PM
Hi
Any progress on making a binary converter?
I have been able to develop a version based on nodejs and electron but it is only valid for small files.

In theory this converter is able to convert from any valid THREEJS input format to SEA3D.

When I try to convert a big input file it crashes with an max stack size exceeded.

The problem is on SEA3DExporter.write function, I think it should split big files in smaller piezes.

Best regards

Help